Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default advice needed on attic insulation

wrote:
hello,
I noticed my ac bills were getting high ($300 per month during
summer). I don't know too much about insulation/home repairs but I
had a feeling insulation wasn't good enough.

I called a local contractor to do inspection of insulation on home and
give me quote for iimproving it.

Turns out the insulation job was poorly done and there isn't enough
insulation up there.

I was told that Icynene insulation was the best. It's a type of foam
that gets sprayed on.
www.icynene.com

This is supposed to be the best. I was told it would cost about $2
per square foot to install it.

Is this a good price? What other methods of insulation are there? I
live in Houston, TX - the summers here are brutal! It's very hot and
humid. I hate it here during summer...I'm happy here during
winters

I want to get the best insulation possible because I don't want to pay
lots of $$$ for electric bills for AC in the house.
I really don't care about cost, I just want to make sure I get a fair
price and the best insulation possible.

First priority is attic ventilation. Without ventilation, insulation won't
work very well. There are three usual methods of attic ventilation:
1. Ridge vents
2. Passive devices such as wind turbines
3. Active devices such as fans.

None, however, work without adequate soffit vents. You can't have too much
soffit venting.

So, your attack on the problem should be:
1. Install more - a lot more - soffit venting. You can do this yourself (cut
hole, cover with screen, repeat).
2. Have a ridge vent installed.
3. Decide whether you want several turbines or a fan.
4. Block all access to the attic from the house. Again, you can do this
yourself with a ladder, "Great Stuff," duct tape, packing material, dead
cat, or whatever works. You must ruthlessly attack all light fixtures,
vents, etc.

Now you're ready to attack the attic itself. Check back here when ready.