Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Is A SawStop Table Saw Worth the Money

"Brian Henderson" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 04:31:26 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

Whether he actually owns one is mostly irrelevent in this case. As well,
there can be other reasons why a proponent of Sawstop safety might not own
one. Leon is arguing the benefits of the Sawstop in this case against
Brian's "impossible for me to get hurt" responses.

No one has ever said it's impossible to get hurt, but the reason I
haven't gotten hurt isn't because I've got the
safety-equipment-from-hell, it's because I know how to work safely.
Is it possible I might get seriously hurt someday? Sure, anything is
possible. Am I going to be paranoid about it? Nope.

We see far too many people who rely on technology to keep them safe
and just don't bother actually learning how to *BE* safe in the first
place. That's the objection.

Brian I guess what makes your comments seem so naive and scream
"inexperienced" is that you keep fabricating instances that have not
occurred in these threads. No one in this thread that I recall has made
the comment that they are going to rely on technology to keep them safe.

Like most people know, looking down the barrel of a loaded gun is not going
to save your butt if you pull the trigger and the safety is not engaged and
whether the safety is engaged or not it is a dangerous move. I think it
goes with out saying that most mature people realize that nothing is fool
proof and that placing a body part near a blade spinning at 100 mph is still
going to instill a sense of fear regardless if the operator knows that the
safety device will prevent injury 99.99% of the time.

The reason that you have not had an accident yet is because the safety
techniques that you practice have not yet been compromised by the mistakes
that you make. Yes you make mistakes. I know you do. You are not the only
that does not. Given enough use and time a mistake will happen when you are
not practicing a safety technique that you are so far unaware of. If your
grand father or father taught you all the safety measures that they know,
you have not learned all the safety practices. Your comments demonstrate
that.