Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Is A SawStop Table Saw Worth the Money

"Rod & Betty Jo" wrote in message

Just curious....as a major (at least here) sawstop supporter as well as
table saw victim why don't you have one? On another note if any table saw
accident is possible is it as well inevitable? Rod

Good questions, and I'll bring up some things to consider concerning other
comments in this thread so please do not consider that all of these comments
are directed at you.

This is the way I think concerning this topic.

Unfortunately my accident, which still seems like it only happed a few
months ago, happened about 14 years prior to the SawStop being invented.
Why don't I have one now? I am not in the market for a new TS. While many
will say that the SawStop is very expensive and may not be worth the
additional expense, it is marginally more expensive if you plan on buying a
new saw any way. It may only be $500 to $1500 more than a "comparable" saw
in the same class that you may be looking at. Yes $500 to $1500 is a lot
of money to some people including myself. I do however pay a similar amount
"every year" for home owners insurance and the chances of being hurt on the
TS are much greater than my house burning down or being blown away in a
storm. Damages incurred on a TS could be equal in value to those of your
house being blown away or burned down and could be more if the injuries
would affect your livelihood. If you do not need to buy a new saw the
expense is much greater than what you were going to spend. I absolutely do
not propose that every one go out and buy one. I do suggest that the saw be
strongly considered if you are going to buy a new TS. It's like considering
the purchase of a car with or with out air bags. Until you have been
injured you really have not concept of how venerable you are. Once injured
you have had the experience to realize that you simply do not know every
possible way that you can be injured. It could not happen to me and yet it
did. Every one that knows me was in shock because I was soooo careful.
Hummmm.

You asked, if a any table saw accident is possible is it as well inevitable?

Absolutely. So far, Table saw accidents are not on the decline. Will you
eventually get hurt, "maybe" not. Between you and 4 other TS users, the
chances are 5 times greater that one of you will get hurt. We are all human
and we make mistakes. With out fail we all eventually unknowingly let our
guard down. The more you use your saw the more likely it is that at some
time you are going to get hurt.

You always practice proper TS safety because you respect the machine and
know what harm it can do. Are you more comfortable using the saw today
than the very first day you used it? Do you think that you will become
more comfortable with it as time goes by or if you use it every day?
Thinking way back when your parents let you have your first knife, did you
respect it and know what harm it could do? Are you more comfortable using
the knife today than the very first time you used it?
Have you ever cut yourself with a knife even though you had the knowledge
that it could harm you.

You come from a long line wood workers. Your grandfather, your father, you
and your child were and or will become woodworkers. Your grandfather's,
your father's and your child's experience with woodworking equipment will
never have any extended power or extend good luck to protect you from
making a mistake. Your grandfather probably taught your father how to use
and respect a knife. I'll bet your father has cut himself with a knife.
Did you ever think that you would not cut your self because your father
taught you how to handle and use a knife?

The simple fact is, the more safety features a tool has, the less likely an
accident will occur when the inevitable happens. The inevitable would be
you letting your guard down or making a mistake. The TS is unforgiving. It
does not care whether you practice proper safety or not. You CANNOT know
all the steps to prevent any possible accident and practice them 100% of the
time.

If you are in the market for a new TS. Should you discount the SawStop
because of they way the inventor tried to bring the saw/technology to
market? :~) Before answering that question lets all remember that we all
practice proper TS safety. Right? Do we let our guard down at this moment?
Would not considering a saw with more safety devices because of the feelings
we have towards some one or something be practicing good TS safety.

Practicing good TS safety does exclude events that happen when wood is not
being cut.

Did you ever say or know some one that said, that will never happen to me?