Posted to rec.woodworking
Donna Donna is offline

Default "Zero Clearance" GRR-Ripper

On Jun 7, 5:26 pm, "Chip Buchholtz" wrote:
I saw the GRR-Ripper and thought it was a good idea, and then I saw
the price and thought I'd make my own.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?O...Select=Details

Instead of an adjustable "leg", I figured I'd just take a block of
wood that was thicker than my blade's maximum height, maybe put a
handle on top, and glue an old mouse pad to the bottom. Instead of
adjusting the middle leg to avoid the blade, just let the blade cut
its own channel through the mouse pad and wood block.

I'm a little concerned that the rubber mouse pad my gunk up the blade,
and that the cloth cover of the mouse pad might shred and cause
problems.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Thanks,

--- Chip

Hey Chip-
I've had one for years and wouldn't use my table saw at all if I
didn't have it. It is as perfect a tool as I've ever seen. It comes
with a manual and it pays to read it. Great for routing small items
too. When I taught power tool use just about all the students bought
one after seeing how it worked.
Sure you can make one similar, but parts like the sliding leg, in
plastic, would be difficult- and bulky- to make out of wood. It is
expensive, but worth it. I can safely rip 1/4" off a 6" long board
just 1" wide.
It is infinitely reusable- until you forget to adjust the legs for a
change in your fence. I've cut into mine a few times, but it is still
fully functional. They sell replacement legs too.
You can make something similar, but not the same, out of wood. It
would have to be twice as big and 3x heavier. Personally I'd rather
work on a harp than a jig. Donna Menke, www.woodworks-by-donna.com