Posted to rec.woodworking
Donna Donna is offline

Default Is A SawStop Table Saw Worth the Money

On Jun 4, 10:17 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"RonB" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
. net...

And that is a good upgrade in the thought process of operating procedures
but accidents often happen when there is no wood being processed. And I
thought only an idiot could cut half their thumb off when not cutting
wood. ;~)

Me too. I put a "to-the-bone" notch in the end of a finger a few years
ago with the saw's motor off. I flipped the switch off, started to walk
away, and realized I had left a cut-off piece on the table. I carelessly
overreached the still spinning blade and "bang"!

That's a hard hit when bone is involved. Very painful, but an invaluable
lesson in safety. I am lucky, and a much more careful woodworker for it.

RonB

Yeah, the bone being hit is pretty violent. I still remember how my whole
hand shook as I cut it away from the tip of my thumb between the nail and
the finger print up to the first joint. I also remember the nurse at the ER
commenting "Knarly".

Unfortunately I was clueless what happened. I initially thought I had a
kick back until I opened up my hand that was clutching my left thumb. I
never could figure out what happened until I almost did it again about 1
year later. One year later I did the same thing, I finished cutting a
through dado and turned the saw off. Then I reached with my left hand to
the far end of the rip fence to lift it up and off the table top. This time
however I felt the wind coming off of the dado set. Fortunately this time
my thumb was too short to come in contact with the blade. Now I watch the
blade come to a complete stop before making any adjustments.

I've always recommended that beginning woodworkers learn to "COUNT THE
TEETH OF THE BLADE" before doing anything anywhere near it. I taught
quite a few women over 6 years on safe power tool use and not one of
us so much as got a scratch. I think this is a dumb kinda rule- but it
works. Donna Menke, www.woodworks-by-donna.com, author: The Ultimate
Band Saw Box Book