Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Mini ('camping') satellite systems -- smaller dishes okay?

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 13:12:00 -0000 someone who may be
wrote this:-

So you bought the camping kit

Yes.

and replaced the 'mini' dish with an 80-cm?

No. The 80cm one was beside the kit in the shop and cost 7 pounds
50, so it was worthwhile getting. The smaller dish could have one of
several uses depending on inclination.

You mention above that alignment is more critical for smaller dishes;
my friend mentioned that too. The larger the dish, the narrower, and
larger magnitude, will be the 'gain' main lobe; so would it not be the
opposite? That (my last statement) has to be nonsense, but maybe you
can follow the reasoning; there has to be some paradox.

I have not yet had a the chance to play with the smaller dish.
However, a smaller dish is less likely to be able to focus enough of
the signal to get a good picture, thus alignment is more critical.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh