Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Mini ('camping') satellite systems -- smaller dishes okay?

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 11:40:56 -0000 someone who may be
wrote this:-

The dish seems a good bit smaller than those you normally see on
houses. How come the smaller size is adequate?

Alignment is supposedly more critical with the smaller dishes, but
they should pick up things well. As you hinted, they might not work
so well as a larger dish in heavy rain.

I found one of the camping kits in Lidl earlier this week. 30 pounds
for the kit and an extra 7 pounds 50 pence for an 80cm dish, a
bargain. It works well, though the options on the receiver are a
little limited. I intend to play with the little dish over the
weekend and see how well it works.

It is only when more people install this sort of thing themselves
that the Rupert Murdoch stranglehold on satellite in the UK will be
broken. The idea of having someone fit equipment for a subscription
service, or fit equipment for 150 pounds and a 20 pound for two
years card for "free" television stations must make people from the
mainland laugh as their idea of satellite television is to buy a kit
from a supermarket.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh