Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] jg.campbell.ng@gmail.com is offline

Default Mini ('camping') satellite systems -- smaller dishes okay?

I see Aldi are offering a 'mini' satellite receiver system for 80 Euro
(in Ireland). Lidl had similar two weeks ago.

A friend installed the Lidl system and he tells me that the reception
is perfect on any channel he has tried; even stuff clearly meant for
the Mediterranean and North Africa.

The dish seems a good bit smaller than those you normally see on
houses. How come the smaller size is adequate?

Or, put it another way, why the larger dishes installed for Sky etc.
if smaller would do? I did ask him about the performance in heavy
rain, but we've had none yet.

Just curious. We're in North West Ireland.

TIA,

Jon C.