Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Toller Toller is offline

Default Harbor Freight Lathe

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message
Neillarson wrote:

Any experience with either of these lathes?

14'' x 40'' LATHE WITH 6'' SANDER

or

12'' x 33-3/8'' WOOD LATHE WITH REVERSIBLE HEAD?

I have a jet mini that I use for my pens and small bowls, goblets,
etc. But, i have a need once in awhile to do 30 to 32 inch spindles.
These are cheap, but if they are of decent quality, maybe worth the
price.

Thanks

Neil Larson

Neil, there are good reasons an extension on the Jet would not be as good
as
the HF 34706, of which I have had three. Basically though it all comes
down to weight. There are things you will like turning better on the Jet
and others better on the HF.

The best reason to go for the HF 34706 is that it gets you into another
aspect of turning (and uses a common size chuck and tailstock) cheaply.
If
you like that area of turning you will upgrade in about two or three years
to a heavier lathe. But in the meantime, you will hone your skills and
have a lot of fun doing it.

My last HF (still in the box from a warranty exchange on #2) went to a
friend of mine, who is now doing something he had always wanted to do but
just could not see spending over $700 to do it. It has been replaced
with
a Jet 1442, which may be finding a new home in a year or so, as I again
upgrade.

What you say is true, but applies equally well to buying used equipment.
He can probably buy a better used lathe for the same equipment.

Check out ebay and the newspapers. I just picked up a new (cosmetically
challenged) Craftsman 15" variable speed for $100 on ebay. They also had a
used Jet 12" variable speed that went for $205. While not a good a bargain
as the one I got, it is probably a great deal better than the HF.