Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale Upscale is offline

Default Is A SawStop Table Saw Worth the Money

"Rod & Betty Jo" wrote in message

Just curious....as a major (at least here) sawstop supporter as well as
table saw victim why don't you have one?

Whether he actually owns one is mostly irrelevent in this case. As well,
there can be other reasons why a proponent of Sawstop safety might not own
one. Leon is arguing the benefits of the Sawstop in this case against
Brian's "impossible for me to get hurt" responses. I fully support the
safety features of the Sawstop myself, but don't own one. And since I know
you're going why, I'll indulge you with the primary reason I don't own a
Sawstop. I use a wheelchair and the Sawstop table surface is too high for me
to use in as safe manner as I'd like.

However, that hasn't stopped me from seriously considering one. I've
examined the Sawtop closely in person and inquired about the possibilility
of cutting down the Sawstop cabinet to lower the table. But, the additional
mechanical components needed for the safety features in the Sawstop make it
impossible to lower the table. Other makes of cabinet tablesaws however, can
be lowered without extensive mechanical modification and that *is* something
that I'm actively pursuing.

On another note if any table saw accident is possible is it as well

inevitable?

Given enough time, yes it is inevitable. In the case of Brian Henderson
possibly, possibly not, but his "impossible for me to get hurt" attitude
makes him more vulnerable to accident. And the ironies of life have a way of
biting one in the butt when they least expect it. Not that I'd want to see
Brian or anyone else be hurt just to satisfy that irony, but his attitude
certainly mandates a good scare on the tablesaw just to bring him down to
reality.