Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default "Zero Clearance" GRR-Ripper

"Chip Buchholtz" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

: "EXT" wrote in message
: anews.com...
:
: But the blade may grab the cloth and pull or throw the insert.

: No, the blade cuts wood easily, it will cut thread or cloth more easily.

And, I'm thinking that the the cloth will be glued to a block of wood,
so it's more likely to cut cleanly and less likely to have tear-out.

To prove a point several years ago I purposely sacrificed a leather/canvas
glove to a TS blade. I pushed the glove into the spinning blade with a
stick and the blade cleanly cut the glove with out moving the glove. When I
stopped pushing the glove, the glove sat still with the blade running
through it. This was done on a leather finger and the canvas side.

This is not to mean that wearing a glove is safe when operating a TS. It
coulee easily get caught on something that is not moving, a jig, feather
board, etc, and cause your hand to veer off path into the blade for example.