Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Smith Tim Smith is offline

Default overvoltage

In article ,
Chris Friesen wrote:
Is your PC PSU proper size? I use 500W one on my PC. My server has
750W one. Wonder if it is undersized El Cheapo? If you have voltage
problem, other appliances will have trouble too.

Both of those are way overkill for most machines. I've got a good
quality 330W in one machine, a 220W in the other. Both have been fine
for many years.

Indeed. For comparison, consider this server from Apple:

Two 3 GHz dual-core Xeon processors
32 GB of RAM
3 300 GB 15000 RPM SAS drives

It's got a 650W supply. Or how about this one from Pogo Linux?

Four 2.8 GHz dual-core Opteron processors
64 GB of RAM
5 SCSI hard disks
12 case fans

(I'm not bothering to list things like CD drives, ethernet, etc, on any
of those).

That's got 850W. He must have one hell of a server if he really needs
750W.

My home server has used 27 KWh over the last 225 hours, so that works
out to 120W (it runs 24/7).

For a home non-server machine, 500W *may* be reasonable. A high-end
graphics card might use 120W. So, figure two of those, in some kind of
SLI setup or something like that. Now throw in a pair of fast dual-core
processors, lots of RAM, high end sound card, a couple big fast disks,
and you could maybe need 500W.

--
--Tim Smith