Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Fridge/Freezer door seals - do they wear out?

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 16:24:42 +0100, "Martin" wrote:

I can see that icing in the freezer is linked to air leakage past the top of
the door seal. As the seal contains a magnetic strip embedded in
plastic, I can't envisage what could possibly wear or age over time, which
makes me think it would be pointless replacing the seal; there are no moving
parts and I doubt the magnetic strip loses its effect over time.

So do these door seals lose their capacity to seal over time and, if so,
what is the mechanism of this ageing/wear process?

In addtion to what others have said, like the seal to a refrigerator,
they crack. My fridge door seal has cracked on one side in a few
small places. When it cracks on the ohter side there will be a leak.

They sell new seals, univerals seals that have to be cut into 4
pieces, with a scissors I suppose.. They're expensive imo, but the
stories I hear about new appliances wearing out quickly make me think
I will buy one if the time comes.

Thanks

Martin