Posted to rec.woodworking
Old guy Old guy is offline

Default Heat for small shop

My shop is 12 x 24 metal siding and roof and no insulation, located in
southern MN.

When outside temperature is below 35 degrees I abandon it and do other
things.

But warmer than that, I bundle up good (insulated pants, multiple jacket
layers, and stocking cap) and go out. I have a small propane radiant
heater (the round type). I hung 2 250 watt heat lamps over the bench, and
two over the lathe.

(By the way, I tested the heater by blowing a handful of sawdust into it
when it was running. Just a mini 4th of July as dust grains flared into
sparks).

I've been amazed how much I can do in that environment, without my hands
getting TOO cold. Of course any gluing, or finishing has to be moved into a
heated location, as well as anything that has water.

Probably doesn't fit your situation.

Old Guy
Luxuriating in warmth these days.
"THOMAS CLEVELAND" wrote in message
Hello
I'm building a new but small shop, it will be 8' X 10' how ever living
in the north east it will get cold up here, it will be insulated, tyvec
wrapped and sided, have ac for the summer, but need heat for the winter,
I saw and like the "Hot Dog" heaters that hang from the ceiling and run
on propane, any input will be gladly welcomed.

Cheers,
Thomas Cleveland