Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default TS Motor stopping periodically.

alex wrote:
Hi,

maybe someone could suggest what is going on with my TS lately. I have
an older Beaver contractors table saw. which has a 3/4 110 v motor and
a magnetic switch.

When I use the saw with a standard rip or combination blade it runs
fine. But, if I use a dado blade after a while the motor shuts off. If
I try to start it right away it won't start. If I wait a minute it
will start and then shut down immediately. If I wait a few minutes it
starts up again and then runs fine for a while and then the whole
process repeats itself.

Is the motor overheating? I'm not doing a lot of cutting with it.

Thanks

Alex

Correct. The thermal overload protection inside the motor is shutting it
down to protect it from overheating. That's perfectly typical operation.

The protection may be "taxed" or ie have been activated so often that it's
physically changed in its characteristics and no longer fires at the right
temperature.
From your post, it sounds like that might be possible.

Or, it might be doing what it's supposed to do.

3/4HP is a little small for a table saw IMO but then you didn't say what
size blade you're spinning. If it's a 10" blade the motor is almost
certainly not powerful enough for long loads.

Operating time also affects how hot things get. Ripping is usually a long
process where the heat inthe motor rises constantly as it continues to be
loaded. Eventually it reaches the point where the protector shuts the motor
down.
Most of those type motors aren't meant for long-time run operations under
load. The plate most likely indicates temp or intermittant duty. Most are
like that.

Make sure there is plenty of air movement around the motor. Be sure the
openings aren't clogged with dust & debris or something isn't preventing air
flow to/from them.

I once had a motor that I dropped a bolt into. Luckily it only hit the fan
on the shaft and broke off a blade. I broke off an opposite blade to
rebalance it until I could replace it, and it ran fine. But ... it wasn't
capable of the previous loads I had been able to use it for. It balanced
"OK" to all appearances, but just wasn't moving enough air anymore. New fan
part for it and all went back to fine.
I know one guy keeps a DC pipe on his motor to help it stay cool for
ripping long boards, but those are dimensional 2x's and green (Amish
sourced).

HTH
Pop`