Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default TS Motor stopping periodically.

In article om,
alex wrote:
Hi,

maybe someone could suggest what is going on with my TS lately. I have
an older Beaver contractors table saw. which has a 3/4 110 v motor and
a magnetic switch.

When I use the saw with a standard rip or combination blade it runs
fine. But, if I use a dado blade after a while the motor shuts off. If
I try to start it right away it won't start. If I wait a minute it
will start and then shut down immediately. If I wait a few minutes it
starts up again and then runs fine for a while and then the whole
process repeats itself.

Is the motor overheating? I'm not doing a lot of cutting with it.

Thanks

Alex

Sounds like a thermal overload is opening & shutting down the motor
until it cools. Is your mag switch a conventional NEMA style motor starter
with heaters? Sometimes these loosen slightly and the added resistance of
a bad connection heats them enough to open the circuit, even though
they are not being overloaded. It is also possible, perhaps more likely
with a 3/4 hp motor, that it has built-in thermal protection. For safe
use in a tablesaw this should be of the manual reset rather than
automatic reset type. You don't mention having to reset anything, so
more info would be helpful here. Next time the saw stops running feel
the motor with your hand and see if it is overly hot. Warm is OK but
generally it should not get so hot that you cannot leave your hand on it.
Let us know what you find.

`