Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Aluminum Pool Screen Enclosure

Dan Espen wrote:

writes:

Our aluminum screen enclosure was built in 1998 under Miami-Dade
Hurricane Codes. It was built using 6063 alloy alluminum. In the
past year we noted a strange discoloration beginning to cover the
frame. It started as small greenish oxidation in a circular pattern
and now covers almost 70% (my estimation) of the enclosure.

Green indicates it's alive.
No oxide of aluminum would be green.

Clean with bleach solution.

Possibly and certainly wouldn't hurt to clean it with bleach and rinse
well.

The aluminum is in all probability anodized so it isn't going to oxidize
(anodizing is an oxide), but it's also likely a color dyed anodize and
if the dye is lower quality and not UV resistant it could be fading.

If you were particularly anal you could dismantle the enclosure and
bring all the AL parts to an anodizing shop to be stripped and
reanodized.