Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default I'm building a 6' high fence and I'm having trouble with landelevations and gaps under fence????

on 6/6/2007 1:06 PM said the following:
Ok this is the deal. I live in an end unit townhome. I'm only required
to make a corner fence since the neighbor's fence is on the other side
I just need to join my fence with his. I've already laid out my fence
and have all my 4x4x8 post concreted into the ground and are at equal
heights and distances. The problem is that before I bought the fence
boards I started to calculate the gap between the bottom of the fence
and the ground. You want at least an inch or so room between the
ground and the bottom of the fence. You want this so that soil dosen't
rot the fence boards and you can deweed underneath. The problem is
that what ever gap height you select you need to continue this so that
it's consistent and the picket heights are all the same along the top.
On one side of my fence that is fine and I can do this but if you
continue around the corner the ground has a lower elevation around the
corner and it will cause a 6" gap underneath the fence. It looks weird
if I were to do this and I don't want to have a gap and try to mediate
it with soil, stones etc... Do you guys have any ideas on how to deal
with this. Looking for someone with experience in this.

I had a similar problem with topography. I laid 6"x6"x8' PT timbers on
the ground between the posts under the fence to fill the gap. Besides
filling the gap, it makes it easier to weed whack along the bottom. I
live in the NE so they do get moved around a little by winter frost, but
a few whacks with a sledge puts them back in alignment.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY