Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default TS Motor stopping periodically.

alex wrote:
Hi,

maybe someone could suggest what is going on with my TS lately. I have
an older Beaver contractors table saw. which has a 3/4 110 v motor and
a magnetic switch.

When I use the saw with a standard rip or combination blade it runs
fine. But, if I use a dado blade after a while the motor shuts off. If
I try to start it right away it won't start. If I wait a minute it
will start and then shut down immediately. If I wait a few minutes it
starts up again and then runs fine for a while and then the whole
process repeats itself.

Is the motor overheating? I'm not doing a lot of cutting with it.

Sounds like it -- the heavier load of the dado appears to be enough to
trigger it. Try taking compressed air and blowing it out thoroughly,
maybe if your lucky it's just not getting any ventilation from having
gotten full of sawdust over the years.

If it's old, of course it's possible it's got a more serious problem.
Could be capacitor, could be winding, might even have a failing bearing
that is a contributor as well.