Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default Buying a house, Aluminum Wiring?

"Rob Mills" wrote in message
I wouldn't walk away, I'd run as fast as I could. There were a few houses
wired with aluminum in our area back in the 60's but they soon made it
illegal to use the stuff.

I never owned a house wired with aluminum but have had houses that
have had aluminum drops from pole to house. My previous home had to have
the
special aluminum to copper connectors replaced every 3 or 4
years as they would burn out.

We moved several years ago to a 50 yr old house that had the old screw in
fuses so we had a new 200 amp panel installed. When the power company came
out to install a new heaver aluminum drop they did not
use the special aluminum to copper connectors as they had in years
past, they used husky u-bolts to connect the aluminum drop to our
copper line, said the old connectors were too troublesome. RM~

Where are you from Rob? Around here (northeast), everything is aluminum
from the pole to the main breaker. Copper does not start until you run
branch circuits.

--

-Mike-