Posted to uk.d-i-y
George George is offline

Default A water meter fiddle?

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 07:32:19 GMT, "Julian" wrote:

I was doing a routine check for water leaks at home today, I just observe
the little 'spinning' wheel on the water meter with everything turned off

make sure it's not moving - it wasn't.

Then I started thinking. The meter works by way of a little turbine wheel
that spins in proportion to water flow and is geared to the counter unit.

wondered if the turbine needs a certain minimum flow of water to overcome
the meter's internal friction. So, by opening a cold tap just a tiny

amount
(just little more than a constant stream of drips) I observed that the

meter
wasn't rotating at all. My theory would appear correct.

So, what if I fitted two ball cocks to the DHW header tank? One half way
down the tank to work normally and one at the top with a stop valve

upstream
throttled to allow a drip feed only. With this working 24/7 I should get
'free' water maybe?

I'm not from Yorkshire BTW, I just like the idea of getting something for
nothing!

So that somebody else pays for your water?

--
Frank Erskine

Too right,a single person in the same type of house you're in and same neck
of the woods pays the same amount as you do with your family.

Are you telling me thats right? I think not, as you would be using more
water than single person.