Posted to rec.woodworking
Hoosierpopi Hoosierpopi is offline

Default Is A SawStop Table Saw Worth the Money

On Jun 4, 8:40 pm, "Howard Swope" wrote:

"decided on getting the SawStophttp://www.sawstop.com/"

You guys must be swimming in cash! $400 for shipping? Geeze, I paid
that for my saw!

Are you a hobbyist or setting up a professional shop?

My grandfather was the carpenter everyone would wait for, died with
all ten fingers and left solid tools my uncle used till he died at
eighty.

Richard Newell would have said "its a poor workman what blames 'is
tools."

As to fingers, used a high quality carbide tipped blade, It will cut
through flesh, bone and fingernails cleanly and quickly. You shouldn't
feel a thing. Wrap them up in a clean towel with some ice before
leaving for the emergency room and get a decent plastic surgeon or
bone man. If you cut through the knuckle, the result is a stiff
finger. Keep your head about you and drive carefully to the ER cursing
your craftsman all the way - yeah, its the saws' fault!.

If you've $6,700 to blow on a hobby tool, go for the Multi-featured
European tool and be "to careful" with it.

When you wake up the next morning and the Hospital Admin folks come to
have you sign some papers, tell them to come back when you're off the
anesthetics for 24 hours or so. (Lack of capacity to contract!) If
you do sign anything that next day - call, fax and write a notice of
revocation. Th hospital will try and get you to sign over your
insurance to them FIRST and leave you to share the remainder with the
surgical team, etc. Have your Insurance company wait until you have
all the bills at hand and know all the players. Then, have them make
the check out to you and everyone on that list. Then counter-sign the
check and send it to them all c/o the Hospital with a letter offering
it in full settlement.

If its cashed, that's that no more bills its all paid for! And not
dime one out of your pocket.

I am getting ready to make a table saw purchase. I have pretty much decided
decided on getting the SawStophttp://www.sawstop.com/. It looks like a high quality
saw and the safety features can't be beat. It is about double what I had
originally wanted to spend. My thought was that if it prevents one injury it
has easily paid for itself. An extra 2 grand seems like a lot of money until
you weight it against the loss of a finger(s), and then that 2 grand seems
like nothing.

Thoughts, comments, advice?

Thanks,
Howard