Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default how do I connect broken pipes

You gave quite a bit of detail but didn't say what the pipes are made
of.

I assume the place is new to you but not totally new or there woudln't
be the gap and compound you mention.

Also, how much of each pipe is showing?

If all there was was a compound connecting them, it should have been
repaired anyhow, so you just accelerated the repair.

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 18:57:15 -0700, check
wrote:

I am not that handy and just moved into a new place. I recenlty
noticed that there was a gap between the wall and sinktop so I lifted
the sinktop to bring it closer to the wall for caulking and
completely forgetting about the plumbing and disconnected the pipe
connected to the faucet. I think the pipes were connected by some kind
of a compound before but when i lifted the sinktop they broke apart.
What's hard now is that the two pipes will hardly align to where the
smaller pipe fits just inside the tip of the bigger pipe. I tried to
put putty around the two pipes and tape around but I can't really get
it tight enough I guess because there is still some leak and the
bottom pipe (smaller) separates from the bigger by gravity.

I also tried a 1-piece connector with screws that I placed between the
two pipes but I got a lot of leak.

Please help!!