Posted to rec.woodworking
ROY! ROY! is offline

Default Zero clearance table saw insert with replaceable wood strip

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 17:19:33 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

I'd rather have a nice aluminum insert but what the hey...

At $60, that is why they are packing it in. For that kind of money I can
make at least 120 of them from MDF. It would be a nice item if it sold
for $15 to $20 maybe. Making the inserts was just another opportunity to
do woodworking, IMO. I still have a half dozen from when I made the first
batch.

OTOH, you can buy the business for $70,000 and give yourself a discount on
the ones for home use.

I normally make my inserts twice each year. Summer batch in May or
June when the humidity in the northeast has risen and maximum swelling
has afflicted the MDF. SEcond batch is made in November or December
when the humidity has gone down and there's virtually no swelling in
the MDF. Summer inserts are too small in the winter and winter inserts
are too big in the summer.