Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney Wayne Whitney is offline

Default Basement: hiding 4' ducts

On 2007-06-06, Mike E Fullerton wrote:

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 22:19:17 GMT, Wayne Whitney

So to paraphrase, you're looking for a material that can be used as a
ceiling that is at most 1.25" thick and will span 4'. Is that right?
If so, have you considered a drop ceiling or ceiling tile system?

A drop ceiling is the same as a suspended ceiling right? I would be
happy to do that. But someone told me it would not span 4 feet.

I don't know very much about drop (suspended) ceilings. But I believe
that the hanger wires are typically placed every 4 feet. That would
mean that the metal tracks can span 4 feet . I'm not sure how much
clearance would be required between the tracks and your ductwork.

The basic upshot of my comment is that if you have to span 4' and have
only 1.25" of thickness available, think metal, because I would expect
you to need the greater stiffness. BTW, that's a large duct you have,
4' wide and 15' long.

Also how could I handle the corner? I can't have it that low all
over as it would cover other door openings and the cupboards.

You'd have to figure out a reasonable way to transition to whatever
ceiling you are using elsewhere. For example, if you are using gypsum
board elsewhare, you could frame a small soffit and bring the gypsum
board down and around to meet the suspended ceiling system.

BTW, you could also consider having the duct exposed and painting it.
Might look OK.

Cheers, Wayne