Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson Brian Henderson is offline

Default Is A SawStop Table Saw Worth the Money

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 20:45:00 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"If" the device works correctly only 1 time, you could have an additional
100 false trips and the extra expense would still be well worth the extra
cost. $200 per trip is an assumption. If you are using an inexpensive
blade the trip is closer to $100 or less including the new cartridge. A
majority of the triggers save thousands of dollars in medical costs. Most
all that have reported false triggers have been compensated in some way by
SawStop and have been assisted in determining a reason and remedy for the
false trip.

You're going to buy an expensive saw and use a cheap blade? Um...
hello?

I made my assumption using a WWII blade which is a pretty standard
blade, if you want to throw a $10 Home Depot cheapie blade in your
saw, more power to you.

Accidents happen whether you practice safety or not. NO ONE is 100%
incapable of having an accident. To think otherwise is pretty naive.

But if you spend all your time quivering in fear that someday, you
just might have an accident, why bother doing woodworking at all?
Woodworking is an inherently dangerous hobby. You will get cut. You
will smash your fingers with a hammer. You will get splinters. Most
of these things are pretty unavoidable.

If you're that paranoid, you should take up knitting.