Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default What's the best bug-light?

On Jun 5, 10:46 pm, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In .com, dpb wrote:

My ploy is to keep a couple of the UV bug-zappers running 24/7, one
fairly close to the front porch to draw as much away as possible.
These make a very noticeable reduction in the nuisance bugs but aren't
particularly helpful for mosquitos, either. ...

So, I run my homebrew bugzapper ...through the early part of "bug season",
and it appears to me that I make my block run low on nighttime flying
insects in general, especially leafhoppers.

So what happens in midsummer? The bat population that usually flies
over my block appears to find my block low on food, and apparently
retreats half a block or so southeastward towards an adjacent park.

My block's mosquito population, apparently in response to this, makes
that summer on the bad side as far as mosquitoes are concerned. Keep in
mind that mosquitoes are not as light-attracted as a lot of other
night-flying insects are!

We're too dry here for a bat population -- our substitute is the barn
swallow and I can't see any effect on their numbers.

I run two "standard issue" bug zappers w/ the u-tube flurorescents
made for the purpose -- one 40W, the other 80. I leave them on 24/7
from "first bug that bugs" 'til first frost. There is no shortage of
critters for them to attract although they do make a discernible
difference around the house...

Mosquitos are killed only by happenstance by them, of course. For the
most part, however, can keep them under control fairly well -- again,
being dry helps except for where the yard/garden/etc are irrigated and
some problems around the lots where cattle waterers, etc., are provide
some breeding grounds that can't be totally eliminated but can be
minimized/controlled.

Whatever one does, 'tis a never-ending battle...