Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default 3-wire to 4-wire conversion for range and dryer outlets

On 06/06/07 01:04 am zxcvbob wrote:

Our house has 3-conductor wiring for the range and dryer. Would it be
OK according to the NEC to run an additional (green) conductor
alongside the existing wiring and replace the receptacles by 4-pin
ones? If so, what gauge? Or would the existing wiring have to be
replaced?

Yes it would be OK, but it's not necessary. (a #10 wire should be
adequate for both if you do it anyway) You should not have to replace
the old wiring, but that kind of depends on whether the existing neutral
wire is insulated.

I realize that it's not *required*, but I was thinking that since our
new range comes without a cord, I might as well buy a 4-wire one and
upgrade the house wiring at the same time. And I assume that the Code
change was motivated by safety considerations, not just a desire to sell
more copper.

Perce