Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Is A SawStop Table Saw Worth the Money

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
news
So how many people should it take to get hurt using an ill advised
"safety" device before either OSHA or the manufacturer would be moved
to specify or make something that works?

My point is that on very large hooks, no latch is the safest method.
Nobody got hurt without the latch, many with it (including me). Hard
to argue that it is appropriate. Maybe you have to be there,
wrestling one of those super cables onto a hook to fully understand
the difference and the problems the latches created.

Frank

I am betting that the "latch" is misnamed. I believe that the "latch" was
intended to be more of a convenience feature in that during instances when
the line with the hook is "slack" the item hooked on it does not fall or
slide off. Somewhere along the line it was probably misinterpreted by OSHA
as a safety feature.

Not totally unlike the hook on a dog leash.