Posted to rec.woodworking
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default draw boring an M&T joint

On Jun 5, 6:10 pm, Andy wrote:
Number two seems like the easier solution (I don't have access to a
lathe), but I'm not sure how well the ebony will take the glue.

I thought the point of draw-boring M&Ts was that they're held together
mechanically, so glue isn't as critical. If you're concerned, you
could sand the ebony's glue surface with a very coarse grit and use
epoxy.

Glue is only a concern if I cap the dowel with a square plug of
ebony. I'm not sure how ebony will take to the glue. The dowel beneath
it will be fine as it will be held firmly in place by tension from the
tenon. The plug is a concern.

I think I'd consider either using a round dowel with a separate plug,
or just using a square peg in a square hole. As long as it's cut
accurately, you shouldn't need glue at all, especially if the hole and
peg are tapered a bit.

I think I'm going to try the suggestion above in which a square peg is
partially rounded to fit the hole with a doweling plate.
Unfortunately, I don't own a doweling plate. I ordered one last night.

And I'll second the recommendation to look at the recent issue of Fine
Woodworking - even looking through it at your local library or
bookstore should get the basics across.

I picked it up last night. Good stuff. Thanks.