Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default What's the best bug-light?

On Jun 5, 5:24 pm, dpb wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:
dpb wrote in
roups.com:

I hear that the bug zappers with the propane burner to generate CO2 work
very well,...

Not from what I've read -- all the tests I've seen showed essentially
no preferential kill rate w/ CO2 as opposed to w/o ...

Actually, I got to thinking that had been a while since I last looked
so thought I'd recheck..

As before the U of Md 2001 test was what I remembered -- "useful for
catching surveillance specimens but claims for control of manufacturer
could not be corroborated". Some more recent results w/ newer devices
seem somewhat more positive but even one of the manufacturer's own
claims notes "Some protection extends up to 20 feet from the unit.
Protection is greatest within 7.31 feet from the unit..." That's a
pretty small area unless one has a very tiny area or simply wants an
area around a patio alone covered. (I like the "7.31" precision,
too... )

So, I guess I'll say they may have their uses, but I still think the
claims are far overblown as compared to the actual effectiveness,
particularly on large areas such as I have and also with our very
windy conditions.