Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Basement: hiding 4' ducts

It takes some creativity and work to make it successful, such as possibly
the ducts could be cinched up tighter to the joists, some metal strapping
may work while it is tight against the ducts, etc, etc., not being there it
is hard to advise.

"Mike E. Fullerton" wrote in
message ...
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 13:39:59 -0700, wrote:

On Jun 5, 4:26 pm, Mike E. Fullerton inforequ...@spam-killer-remove-
techie.com wrote:
I'm finishing a basement. I'm perplexed what to do about the ceiling.
Half the ceiling has been drywalled. The other half has so much pipes
and wires I plan to do a suspended ceiling. The problem is for half
the ceiling I have a little over 4 feet of ductwork to conceal. There
is only about 1.5 inches of clearance from the doorways for me to work
with. Would using 3/4 plywood work or would it sag?

Lots of materials would work, if done well. Meaning- how the framing's
done- spacing & such. OTOH, some inspectors would have problems
with flammable materials like plywood, vice fire-resistant like
sheetrock.

How can I do framing with 1.5 inches of clearance? In fact I forgot
about the ridges on the ducts. It actually more like 1.25 inches. When
I say 4 feet I mean across and about 15 feet long.