Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike E. Fullerton Mike E. Fullerton is offline

Default Basement: hiding 4' ducts

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 13:39:59 -0700, wrote:

On Jun 5, 4:26 pm, Mike E. Fullerton inforequ...@spam-killer-remove-
techie.com wrote:
I'm finishing a basement. I'm perplexed what to do about the ceiling.
Half the ceiling has been drywalled. The other half has so much pipes
and wires I plan to do a suspended ceiling. The problem is for half
the ceiling I have a little over 4 feet of ductwork to conceal. There
is only about 1.5 inches of clearance from the doorways for me to work
with. Would using 3/4 plywood work or would it sag?

Lots of materials would work, if done well. Meaning- how the framing's
done- spacing & such. OTOH, some inspectors would have problems
with flammable materials like plywood, vice fire-resistant like
sheetrock.

How can I do framing with 1.5 inches of clearance? In fact I forgot
about the ridges on the ducts. It actually more like 1.25 inches. When
I say 4 feet I mean across and about 15 feet long.