Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Leak in shingle roof around chimney

On Jun 5, 1:49 pm, Joe wrote:
I got about 1.75" of rain the other night and a long slow leak in my
roof finally made it through the sealing. I bought this house last
year and I was left the name of the roofer who replaced the shingle
roof 5 years ago. I called him up and he told me that it's not his
flashing that the water is most certainly coming through the actual
brick of the chimney and that I should call a mason contractor to fix
the chimney. Is it customary for a roofer to not even come by to check
to make sure his flashing was done correctly? There is also a dormer
right next to the chimney so the chances that it's the flashing should
be even greater correct? Is there a way to tell which it is? Should I
get an estimate from a mason or should I insist that the roofer come
and check it or should I call a different roofer to check the original
roofer's work?

Should he come by? Yes, but there's really no way to force the roofer
to come by. Playing the devil's advocate, how long do you feel a
roofer should warranty their work? Generally there's a one year
warranty. You also have to remember that the first time the roofer is
hearing from you you're complaining about his work and you haven't
given him any money. Strictly speaking there is no business
relationship or responsibility for him to have to deal with you,
unless you could prove gross negligence, and even them, I'm not sure
what your state's laws are in this respect.

Not sure where you are, but here in NY we had a crap load of rain and
there were a number of things that leaked that normally don't. I
don't know what the configuration of your dormer/chimney/roof is, but
I've seen some designs that were doomed from the start. Situations
that only leak in extreme storms can be difficult to track down. It
is also possible that the roofer is right about the chimney, so I'd
probably try not to burn any bridges until you know exactly what's
going on.

Since the original roofer seems resistant, it's probably best to
locate a different recommended roofer. If it does turn out to be the
original roofer's negligence, you'll have to see what remedies your
state allows.