Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Leak in shingle roof around chimney

I got about 1.75" of rain the other night and a long slow leak in my
roof finally made it through the sealing. I bought this house last
year and I was left the name of the roofer who replaced the shingle
roof 5 years ago. I called him up and he told me that it's not his
flashing that the water is most certainly coming through the actual
brick of the chimney and that I should call a mason contractor to fix
the chimney. Is it customary for a roofer to not even come by to check
to make sure his flashing was done correctly? There is also a dormer
right next to the chimney so the chances that it's the flashing should
be even greater correct? Is there a way to tell which it is? Should I
get an estimate from a mason or should I insist that the roofer come
and check it or should I call a different roofer to check the original
roofer's work?