Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default draw boring an M&T joint

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 10:17:49 -0700, Jeff wrote:

Any thoughts?

Buy this month's FWW. Big article on pegged tenons, drawboring and
chamfered tops.

My technique (from FWW over the years) is to saw square stock, then to
round half of it with a dowel plate. I then drive this in with a light
hammer, using a small wrench on the square to stop it rotating.
Chamfering is done in situ, using a special chamfering chisel. This is
just an old chisel about 1" wide, cut off at about 40° to make a massive
skew and fitted with a short handle. You use it with an upward
almost-levering action.

My chamfered pegs are almost always black, either African Blackwood, bog
oak, or if I'm desperate, ebonised oak or maple.

I've also made them in the past (especially small ones) by planing the
tops with a block plane and shooting block before inserting.

My flush pegs are round, made of assorted scrapwood (usually bamboo
chopsticks, but also hornbeam, fruitwood or whatever I'm using) sized on
a dowel plate.