Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Ashby Peter Ashby is offline

Default Cheap bookshelves for a number of books

Stuart Noble wrote:

Peter Ashby wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

wrote:
On Jun 4, 1:41 pm, wrote:
Our building is nearing completion and it will soon be time to get our
books (many hundreds, mainly paperbacks) out of storage.
[..]

Many thanks for the various ideas/links. Spur shelving it was, and I
suspect that inertia and option paralysis will ensure that I go for
more or less the same system again.

Edward

6" "real wood veneer" contiboard with plenty of dividers/supports (cut
very accurately) would be my choice.

Chipboard will sag, it's much cheaper to use real wood as you need
supports less often.

Properly supported it doesn't sag. What real wood would you suggest that
would be as stable?

It's the properly supported bit that I was commenting on. You need more
supports for chipboard so it ends up more expensive. If you want
absolutely stable then get lipping some quality ply would be my choice.
Fully loaded shelves won't be able to cup or twist anyway which is how
the OP says they will be.

Peter
www.the-brights.net