Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Garage concrete stem wall / sill question....? spalling?

In article ,
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

OK, first, I am not trying to channel "Charles"....

Needed to replace the "sweep" on the door from the garage to the back
yard.
Old "rubber" (?) died of "old age".

There I am down flat on floor, unscrew old frame for sweep; use it to
measure new
sweep frame. No issues, screw new sweep on. Fine.

But....while I am down on floor unscrewing and screwing, notice that
on both sides of door, left and right, beyond the door casing, the
concrete of the about 2 inch high footing / stem wall , is like
"chewed" away. The sill plate on top of the footing is fine and
goes all the way to the paired 2 x 4 studs on each side of the
door opening.

But that raised concrete whatever, which is about 4 inches above the
garage slab, is for about 2 inches on the inside of the garage sort of
"chewed" away, and as you look out you can't see daylight, but as
you explore the "hole", its wider on the garage inside and narrower as
you get to the outside.
Sort of like a cone, an ice cream cone, with the "pointy" side
out.

Air is blowing in the "cones" on each side.

On one side of door, found two pieces of concrete chunks, about 1/2
inch x 1/2
inch.

Looked at the entire perimeter of the garage. Only place this exists is
right around the door frame.

House built in 1968, I am third owner, lived here since 1980.

No, no parks, no public parking, no vandals (sorry Charlie), and I
almost don't care how it was made.

I would like suggestions on what to patch it with.

TIA.

I think some space alien vandal carpenter bees smashed through that
concrete with a sledge hammer to add a personnel door to the back yard
some time after the garage was constructed.