Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default sinking plug sockets into walls...

In article . com,
Thomarse wrote:
I have some plug sockets in my bedroom which are the external box
type, just screwed to the wall. I am currently decorating the room and
want to get these sunk into the walls so they are a little neater.

I have done this before, with a hammer and chisel, but the results
werent great as the back edge of the hole i created wasnt very flat
and so was hard to drill into and screw the metal insert to.

I know you can buy guides from B&Q etc that you place on the wall and
drill a series of holes which you then knock out, but I wonder if
anyone has any experience of using these and whether they are any
good? Is there another method I could use to get this job done?

Just bash the hole out as best you can and make good afterwards. It's
(nearly) impossible to make a perfect hole, so if you have to make good
anyway it's not worth the bother trying. As regards fixing to an irregular
hole whack in some one coat plaster and then the box - supporting if
needed until it goes off.

--
*60-year-old, one owner - needs parts, make offer

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.