Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

Default Damp patch on wall

"Will" wrote in message
Hello,

I've got a damp patch, half way up an internal wall. It's only small -
maybe 6 inches by 4 inches.
On the other side of the wall, I also have a small damp patch in a similar
position.
If I paint it, it just bubbles up. What is the best way of treating this?
No idea why it is appearing in this particular position - I am in an old
Victorian two up two down, and this wall was originally the external wall,
before the extension was built for the kitchen / bathroom.

cheers for any help.

First thing to find out is where the damp is coming from.

Is there a pipe buried in the wall that is leaking?

As it was originally the external wall is it 9" solid brick or is there a
cavity?

If it is a cavity wall it is possible that something is bridging this cavity
and collecting moisture, though where the moisture is coming from is another
matter, maybe a leak into the top of the wall?

Tony

Tony