Mark

Default Concrete Fence Posts - setting out

On 11 Jul 2003 10:39:28 -0700, (StealthUK) wrote:

To add to the good advice already given.....

I made a fence last year using the same materials.
Cutting the concrete posts to size is not advised and I've never heard
of it. To keep the heights the same I just made sure the gravel board
was totally level with a spirit level (prop with bricks if need be)
and then measured the height of the post to be fixed from the gravel
board Digging the holes is the worst bit espcially if there are loads
of old stones, bricks and tree roots in the way - it can labour even
the strongest man. A quicker way (although I have not tried it) is to
hire a petrol hole digger - I intend to try one the next time.

I used quick set post fixing mix as well - absolutely essential. Used
to have some smashed up bricks handy as well to throw in with the mix
to add some strength. Never needed to support the posts, the mix and
bricks held the posts in place firmly after a few minutes of holding.

Put in about 8 posts and boards last year and by far the biggest job
was digging the holes due to the crap under the soil from previous
fences and then mixing the concrete (no mixer at the time).

Used a dry mix or ballast and cement to hold the posts, half fill the
hole with dry mix, compact it down and then square up the post. Then
fill rest of hole with a wet mix.

There's a slight difference between the heights of the posts but then
the ground slopes away in one direction anyway.

Put the gravel board in as I did the next post, probably the wrong way
but I was lifting those things on my own.... ;-)

The finish is as good as I've seen the "pros" round here do and now
I've finally made the fence panels I don't think it's too bad for a
first effort.

I did it on a daily basis, one post one day and then another post and
gravel board the day after. Gives the previous post chance to set a
little and you don't get hacked off with the job.

Mark S.