Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Older Gas Stove Question

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 11:30:32 -0700, wrote:

The stove in this new apartment is a gas stove which is an old Roper
I'm assuming from the apartments original construction, which works
fine, but I noticed last night that even with the burners all off, the
oven off and no discernible heat coming from any of them that there
was still heat coming from the very center of where the burners are.

I don't know about the Ropers or Chrissie or Jack, but there are
certainly gas stoves with 4 burners and one pilot in the middle of all
four of them. If it's hot in the middle but not on the left or right,
you can be pretty sure that's what you've got.

Gas stoves are great. Pilots may waste gas but they have big
advantages over electric starters. For one thing, you'll be able to
cook during a power outage. Some or all of the ohter don't permit
that. On older ones, the top generally lifts up and has a rod to
hold it up, for cleaning. I used to clean every 3 years. Don't know
about newer ones. (What you call older I would probably call newer.)