Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hat@uark.edu is offline

Default Installing ceiling fan with 10" joists

On Jun 4, 7:06 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
They actually make a "fancake" box for mounting on the beam

"Mikepier" wrote in message

ups.com...

What I've done in the past is buy one of those round "pancake"
electrical boxes and screw it directly to the joist. You still have
plenty of room to tuck the wires in the housing of the fan. Of course
this would only work if the joist was centered in the room, but in
your case your talking only being off by a maximum of 5" off center
being that your joists are 10" apart.- Hide quoted text -

--------------------------------------
The trouble is that OP has already cut the hole, and it would be take
careful mud work to conceal the hole. I never buy any of these ready-
to-use contraptions. I simply build my own out of lumber to fit
between exisiting joists. Using a 2x4 as a base board, I secure
(using screws) two vertical end pieces out of 3/4" plywood stock and
assemble the contraption to look like a flat bottom U (like this |
___|) --measured to fit snugly between the joists, of course. I then
affix the junction box to the bottom of the base board making sure to
drill a hole for the cable to reach the junction box. ALL THESE STEPS
ARE DONE IN MY SHOP. Now, with the hole in the cieling already cut, I
simply drop my contraption between the joists and secure the vertical
end pieces by screws or bolts. Now this may not be code, but the
bracket could not be any stronger and it will definitely hold the
weight of the fan. I have done this with four different fans and they
are still holding now over 20 years later.