Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Installing ceiling fan with 10" joists

wrote:
I bought a Westinghouse Saf-T-Brace (Model 01400) for use in
installing a ceiling fan. Unfortunately, I have discovered the
ceiling joists are only 10" apart (edge to edge) in the spot I want to
install the fan (after I cut the hole in the ceiling). Do they or
anyone else make a shorter version of the brace?

If not, has anyone every tried to cut each piece of the brace, to make
it shorter? The threaded rod looks like some kind of hardened steel.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

I had the exact same problem in my kitchen, and had purchased the same
brace. I took my 4" grinder and ground down the square tubing around
the cast threaded insert piece. I then knocked the insert out, cut the
tubing down with a hacksaw, drove the insert back in, staked it with a
center punch, and then cut the screw on the other foot to match. Et
voila, works like a champ. Probably not UL listed but it can't be
anything but stronger than the original 16" configuration.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel