Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
claude claude is offline

Default Precision of engineering helps bottom line (washer broke 2 wks out of warranty).

I have the 1977 Kenmore ( Whirlpool) and I never even had to change the
pump. 2 months ago I did have to change the drive belt, I was mildly peeved
that it only lasted 30 years ) I do however have to take the pump apart
every 6 months to remove lint as I removed the lint filter after the 3rd one
broke ( replaced with a 49 cent PVC elbow). The good news is that the pump
CAN be dismantled, the new ones are fused so you can't take it apart. How
about those tools that had a command in the firmware to kill the tool after
so many cycles? Not sure if this scandal was for a tool or an appliance.

Show me anything new and I will pin point with a high degree of confidence
where the obsolescence is planned. The weak links are now so flagrant that
it's obvious that they couldn't care less if we know.

Real sad news this past month. Maytag had the gall to pull out the lonely
Maytag repair man. Pffffttttt I guess it's not everyone who reads Consumer
Reports ( awesome magazine by the way.) They are now topping the recal lists
( that's right, more than one appliance. )

Claude
Montreal.

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
"Gary Brady" wrote:
For this reason, I've determined that I will never buy another new
washer. I've got a service manual and intend to keep my 1981 Whirlpool
until I die. I've got a spare, though, a Maytag Performa that someone
tossed out when only 4 years old. It took 2.5 hours to fix it, no parts
needed.

Yep, same here. I recently had an opportunity to pick up a two year old
washer for a song and a dance, but I decided to keep my late 70's Kenmore
(rebadged Whirlpool) instead. I replaced the water pump in it about 15
years ago, and it shows no sign of slowing down - the thing is built like
a tank.. I've seen new ones leaking transmission fluid straight from the
factory - NO THANKS!

They really don't make 'em like they used to.

Jon