Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default What's the best bug-light?

In .com, dean wrote:
I just put in a couple of pale-yellow plastic encased CF bulbs (bug
lights, supposedly) outside on my deck, and there are piles of bugs
flying all around them. Not as bad as a daylight bulb, but still,
they're crap. Are there any that really work?

I think it takes a more amber deeper yellow to really cut the
attractiveness to flying insects. They see blue-green/green-blue well
and appear to me to be attracted to that, most light yellow plastic lets
that through, and compact fluorescents have spectral content there. Some
yellow plastic passes more UV and/or more deep blue or violet than one
suspects.

Along these lines, I think low pressure sodium should work well.
Problem is, its spectrum is monochromatic, and things look an
orange-yellow version of black-and-white with most colored objects
appearing dark.

If you have an enclosed fixture with glass panes and you have time and
are handy with this sort of thing, try replacing the glass panes with
yellow acrylic such as yellow "lucite" or "plexiglas". Or someone who is
handy with acrylic can build you a yellow enclosure.

For more extreme reduction of insect attractiveness, try orange acrylic
instead of yellow.

Insects also see yellow light but supposedly do not well see red light.
They have four color vision receptors - UV, blue, blue-green and yellow
(or yellow-green-peaking maybe). I suspect the theory is that having
light not doing much stimulation of the three shorter wavelength ones
makes the light less attractive to most light-attracted flying insects.

- Don Klipstein )