Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Toller Toller is offline

Default water heater fell over in driveway - safe to use?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Last week I had a plumber install a new gas water heater. His helper
had the heater standing up on the driveway and was sliding it onto a
hand truck, when it fell over. The gray metal shield sticking out
under the red thermostat got bent a little, and there's a little dent
in the sheet metal about halfway up the tank, and the release valve
got dinged. I didn't hear any broken glass sound, and the plumber
replaced the release valve. The heater works ok, no noises, no gas
smell. I realize the glass might have cracks that will shorten the
lifespan of the heater, but my concern is just gas safety. Since I
smell no gas, and since the gas-related parts are at the bottom of the
tank (which didn't hit the ground - it seems the release valve got the
most damage, and was replaced) is the heater safe to use? (I realize
in hindsight I probably should have told him not to install it, but
that's hindsight now...) Thanks.

Speaking strictly about gas safety; if you don't smell any gas you should be
fine.
That said; I wouldn't have let him install it; you don't need dents and
bends in a new appliance.