Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Removing a stovepipe connection

crabshell wrote:
I have removed an old Franklin stove and stovepipe but the chimney and
ceiling hardware are still in place and I'd like to remove the ceiling
connection (I assume the chimney pipe may come out with it
unfortunately). I can't figure out how the hardware that supports the
chimney pipe is installed in the ceiling. I've looked at it in the
attic and I don't see anything to unscrew. I've posted a photo and
illustration at http://www.billrogers.net/photos/stovepipe

Thanks for any advice.

The large circular shim, I'll bet, is press-fitted to the pipe (same as a
gas water heater flue).

Try wiggling the collar (maybe some WD40) and I'll bet the main pipe will
slide out.

If push comes to shove, you should be able to Dremel-cut the collar off.