Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

Default Central AC outside unit freezing up

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Goodman central AC that is 9 years old.
Recently it started freezing up the valve (expansion valve?) at the
outside compressor unit.
When this is froozen the compressor is still running, but the Air
Handler is not running.
I had a HVAC man look at it and said the freon was OK and he cleaned
the coil in the Air Handler. The problem was still there. It may work
for a day or two, then freeze up.
It froze up yesterday around noon. The tenant shut it off, and back on
after the valve thawed out. It has been running OK for the last 10
hours or so.
Thanks for any help.

I use a 24000BTU window unit that will freeze up if I turn the thermostat up
to where the compressor runs continuously. If I set the thermostat back to
where it shuts off every now and then it seems to allow the compressor to
melt off (or keep from accumulating) any ice build up and doesn't freeze up.
In my case the unit still does a good job of cooling even with the
compressor occasionally cycling off.