Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Router table fence question

In article , steamer wrote:
--Ran into a situation the other day where I had to rout a series of
parallel slots in half a dozen pieces. Setting the stops on the router fence
is easy enough for one set of slots but when you swivel a router fence all
of the stop positions change. So I set out to look for a retrofit fence kit
of some kind that would move the fence back and forth, parallel to the first
setting. Well the guys at the Woodcraft store said there isn't one! So I
made one; not totally happy with the results tho, i.e. it can still wobble a
bit but it's definitely better than nothing at all.
--Question: anyone else been down this road? What did ya wind up
doing?

If I understand correctly, you're routing slots that don't go the entire
length of the workpieces, but you want them all to stop at the same distance
from the end (hence the stops on the fence), right? (If the slots do go all
the way from end to end, just rout slot 1 in each piece, move the fence, rout
slot 2 in each piece, move the fence, etc.)

First off, the guys at the Woodcraft store were uninformed. There are several
brands of fence on the market that do exactly what you want, but they're not
cheap.

There is a cheap, easy way to do just what you want, though. Position the
fence and stops for your first slot, then rout that slot in each workpiece.
Clamp stop blocks to the router table, touching the fence, one at each end.
Loosen the fence mounts, then use spacers at each end of the fence to move it
the proper distance away from the stop blocks. Tighten the fence mounts,
remove the blocks and spacers, and rout the next slot in each workpiece.
Repeat until finished.

--
Regards,